Truthful Heart-- Self- Kindness/ Happiness Coaching
Self- Kindness, Self- Care and Human Needs
Self- kindness begins most simply with acknowledging and meeting our human needs.
Our Basic Human Needs
Needs of our Ancestral or Reptilian include:
Fresh air: Every body’s gotta breathe!
Exercise: We have to move our bodies!
Music: It frees your soul. Even cavemen – and women—had it!
Sunlight: On the body (in moderation) and reflecting in the eyes
is a sore deficit in today's world!
Rest: The lack of adequate rest in our culture is huge-- Not getting much sleep ore enough for body needs is not something to brag about! ( And what does it say that most people need their coffee fix to do it?)
The lack of meeting these needs appropriately puts millions of dollars in the pockets of the
health care system and diet industries by contributing to obesity, human disease and decline.
Self- Kindness Tool: Your Human Needs
Knowing your needs can help you keep an eye to meeting them.
Coach Tony Robbins lists our emotional needs in the context of what motivates us.
They are helpful touchstones and for the basics in coaching:
1. Certainty, Security or Comfort. Much of comfort of life comes from certainty and security. When this need overtakes other concerns, our world can easily become cold and cruel.
2. Variety: We crave it. (Food for Thought: “Variety”may even need to include enough uncertainty for the adventure of the unknown.)
3. Significance/ Purpose: Who doesn’t want to feel important? It gives our life to meaning and significance.
Part of the value of spiritual pathways is that they give us purpose and the fulfillment of that.
4. Connection and Love: We all want to be cared for and cared about. Love is said to be the purpose of religion, which has called many to its temples. Love, they say, is what the Prophets lived and died for.
5. Growth: The desire for personal growth-- to become better, to improve our skills, etc., is built into the human heart.
6. Contribution: How sweet it is that somewhere all of us want to leave our mark, to contribute something of value in and to the world.
Some sample Coaching Questions:
In coaching, we can look at this list in regard to our lives and service.
What may need to change in what you do and how you do it?
Marketers may ask: What may I need to change in the way I describe and explain what my service
or product can do for those I serve?